Monday, May 12, 2008

Vroom Vroom (maybe?)

Since the time I was about 10 years old I have wanted a motorcycle. I remember when I was 12 asking my parents about it. They had said that if I could save enough money from my paper route that they would pay half the cost of a dirt-bike. Back in 1978 a Suzuki 75cc dirtbike was around $1200 I think, and I am not sure how much money I was making delivering the Winnipeg Tribune, but that would have probably been a years saving. I also was interested in comic books at the time, as well as hockey cards, so saving that kind of money was next to imipossible for me (too bad I didn’t at least hold onto the comics and cards!)
Anyway, fast forward 30 years, and the burning desire is still there. I have ridden quite a few motorcycles including dirt and street, but have never owned one, or even had my licence for it. A few years ago when I started putting pressure on myself to lose a few extra pounds (about 80!), I said to myself that if I could get to my goal that I would treat myself to a motorcycle. Well, the goal was too lofty and I never got the bike. And besides, the cost of the bike I wanted was far too high at around 12 grand.
Now here we are…I recently saw an ad for a honda CBR125R. It totals around 4K with tax, and that has really gotten me interested again. I think as a first step that I will go and get my M1(?) licence from the MTO. Then I will try a test ride on the bike in question and maybe check out the Yamaha 125 as well. I am not sure that either of these bikes will carry my load (around 200lbs), but we’ll see. I don’t need to break any speed records or anything.
In any case, I will post results from my written test, as well as progress on this whole endeavor.
CFN,
Jojo

No comments: